Back        Home

Town of Hampden

Regular Meeting of Parks & Recreation Commission
7:00PM at the Hampden Town Hall
June 10, 2004

Approved: June 24, 2004

 

The meeting was called to order at 7:17 P.M.

Attendance: Board members present: Chris McDonald, Michael DíAgostino, Glennice Flynn and Tina Albano. Others present were Glen Walulak and Sue Gorman.

Bills: Bills were reviewed and paid

Minutes: Tina made a motion to accept the May 27, 2004 minutes. Michael seconded. Unanimous.

There was discussion for the minutes on the special soccer meeting held on June 4, 2004 Glennice made a motion to re-vote on the boys teams as discussed. Michael seconded. Unanimous

Glennice made a motion to revote on the girlsí teams as stated in the June 4, 2004 minutes. Tina seconded. Michael opposed the vote.

Glennice made a motion to accept the minutes with revisions for the June 4, 2004 meeting. Tina seconded. Unanimous.

Elections: Tabled until the next meeting

Directors Report:

-The Rauschers have requested reserving Memorial Park for July 1st for a Memorial Day for Devon. This day is available.

-The Police Dept. will be holding a movie night after the Baseball Jamboree.

-A new movie screen has been purchased with contributions from The Police Department, Monson Savings Bank and The Cimmino Family.

-RAH will be taking a break for the summer. Some people are leaving and this will have an impact on Park and Rec.

-The Wilbraham Park and Rec Dept is offering a summer baseball program for U13 and U14. Is there any interest in sending a Hampden team?

-On June 14 and 16th, Pantusco's will run the soccer evaluations however they do not want to actually evaluate. Jay will check with them to see if they will evaluate some teams. If not alternates need to be found.

-Bob Gomez will be advising his girlsí soccer team to go to the special tryouts to be held in Wilbraham on June 11th. This will have an impact on the U13 and U 14 teams depending how many go to the tryouts. Cuts may be necessary if there arenít enough numbers to field a team.

-Jay will be away from June 20-June 29th.

Coach Appreciation Night: This event is postponed to a later date due to a lack of volunteers.

Sport Coordinator Duties: Michael presented ideas on a printout to the board. These will be reviewed and discussed at the next meeting.

Fall Festival: Lori Isham is to attend the next meeting to clarify her role vs. the Park and Recís responsibility in the Buddy Walk. Tina has also expressed concern over her own availability for the Fall Festival and has requested support from the board in order for this event to continue and be successful.

Soccer Policies: Tabled to next meeting.

Memorial Park Update: Tina has made a call to get estimates for a new sign by Memorial Park. The Rauschers have requested to move the sign/island forward. It appears that it may stay where it is for now. The sandblasting estimate seemed to be high. Tina will speak with the Rauschers to find out what kind of a budget to work with for the renovations.

OLD BUSINESS:

Glennice brought in samples of flooring to be used for the new GM gym floor. The Park and Rec Board suggested going with a tan and red combination. Jay suggested going with a thick baseline.

Michael made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 9:20 P.M. Glennice seconded. Unanimous.

The next meeting will be June 24, 2004 at 7:00 P.M.